TONGKAT ALI AND WOMEN'S HEALTH: IS IT A SAFE CHOICE?
Tongkat Ali, also known as Eurycoma longifolia, is a popular natural supplement made from a tree that grows in South East Asia. You can read more about what Tongkat Ali is here.
This plant has been used for many years in traditional Oriental medicine as an aphrodisiac, a source of energy and a means of improving health. Tongkat Ali is often associated with masculinity and raising testosterone levels. So the question is - can women take Tongkat Ali? And what are the possible effects?
Tongkat Ali and women's health: the case for
- Hormone balance. Tongkat Ali can help women balance hormones. Although it is known to raise testosterone levels, it can also have a positive effect on women's hormone balance. Some studies suggest that Tongkat Ali, by lowering cortisol (stress hormone) levels and increasing testosterone levels, may help reduce stress and improve mood. Although testosterone is mostly associated with men, it is also important for women's health - mood, muscle mass and sex drive. Read more about the hormone testosterone here.
- Boosting energy levels. As an adaptogen, Tongkat Ali can help the body adapt to stress, increase energy levels and improve overall health (Read more about what an adaptogen is and how it works here). It may be particularly useful for women dealing with fatigue or stress.
- Libido effects. Tongkat Ali can help improve sexual desire in women. Some studies suggest that Tongkat Ali may increase libido and improve sexual function, which are important aspects in women's sexual health. For more information on what exactly libido is and how to increase it, click here.
Tongkat Ali and women's health: arguments against
- Hormonal disorders. Although Tongkat Ali can have a positive effect on hormone balance, taking too much can cause problems. For women who already have certain hormonal disorders, such as polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), taking Tongkat Ali may exacerbate symptoms. Read more about both male and female hormones and how they affect the body here.
- Side effects. Like any natural supplement, Tongkat Ali can cause side effects. These may include insomnia, irritability, increased heart rate or nausea. For more information about the side effects that may occur with Tongkat Ali, read here. Pregnant or breastfeeding women should take extra care and take Tongkat Ali only after consulting a doctor.
Although Tongkat Ali is most commonly associated with men's health, it can also have benefits for women by helping to balance hormones, boost energy and improve sexual function. However, like any supplement, Tongkat Ali should be taken with caution and ideally after consultation with a healthcare professional. Read more about Tongkat Ali use and dosage here. Every woman is unique, so what works for one woman may not have the same effect on another or even cause a negative reaction.
Remember: while natural supplements can help improve health, they should never be used as the main or only solution to health problems.